My doctor's appointment this week was definitely a roller coaster!!! It started normally...the peeing, the weighing (up 4 lbs. from pre-preggo, by the way), and the blood pressure taking. My nurse was happy to see that my blood pressure was a very happy 110/76. I'm attributing that to some hippie breathing exercises I was doing in the waiting room. Then the doctor came in...
That part started okay too. I introduced her to Mike, we talked, and I asked her some questions. The we got to the part that I'd simultaneously been looking forward to and dreading...the doppler. My doctor put the gross gel-stuff on the wand and started trying to find our baby's little heartbeat. I would later realize just how hard she was actually pressing down when I was sore for two days afterwords. The longer she tried, the more I knew that I was going to panic. Mike was so sweet and holding my hand. A few renegade tears began to make their way down my face, but the doctor was still trying. She just kept saying, "I'm not worried," and "It's just really small right now." When she stopped trying...I. Lost. It.
Before I knew it, we were in the sonogram room and my doctor was trying to figure out how to turn on the machine. She admitted that she didn't really know how to use everything, but that the tech was gone for the day and she didn't want to make we wait until the next morning. She finally got it working and put the wand to my stomach. She found our baby almost instantly!!!
My favorite part was when Mike asked what we were seeing and the doctor said, "That's your baby." We were amazed. We could see that it was moving around. We saw the spine, the face (Mike pointed out the eyes himself), and what we had been waiting two long months to see...our baby's little, fluttering heartbeat. To say that I was relieved would be a huge understatement. I was in love...with Mike, with our baby, with my doctor, with life. It was amazing.
We spent the rest of the evening sharing the wonderful news and going to Babies R Us to buy our little one's first onesies. We are so happy to know that things are as they should be as we head into trimester number two.
1 comment:
I'm totally going to try and not comment on every single post. I just found this blog. I'm crying :) So happy for you! BTW, I have your shower gift, sorry I couldn't make it because of work. I'll get it to you somehow soon.
Ok, back to reading... who needs sleep right?
Post a Comment