Note to readers: I'm going to blame the following scenario partially on pregnancy and partially on my mother.
Upon finding myself awake at 4:00 this morning, I somehow decided that it would be an opportune time to mop the kitchen and bathroom floors. I think I may have also done some dishes, but I'm not quite sure.
I think it's clear as to why I'm blaming this on pregnancy...the whole sleep thing...but some might be wonder why oh why I would blame this on my mother. I'll tell you...I have totally inherited her bad housekeeping habits.
I'm not a dirty person by any means (nor is my mother), but I have a terrible habit of letting little chores fall by the wayside on a daily basis. Clean dishes hanging out in the dishwasher or dish drainer for a few extra days? No problem. Clean clothes waiting a few extra days to be put away? Normal. Stacks of mail and papers and pictures and books and whatever else might accumulate on the coffee table or side table? Not a big deal. I don't have any excuses, it's just not a huge priority when it's just me and Mike. Here's the kicker, though...someone's coming to visit. Someone who doesn't live with my mild-chaos on a daily basis. Watch out!!! It is time to clean!!!
I remember how this would drive me nuts as a kid. Family would be coming in from out of town and all the sudden, the whole damn house had to be spotless. I thought it was crazy. Now Mike thinks I'm crazy. Great. I love my mother for so many reasons and now know why she loves to say, "No one ever had 'She kept a clean house' on her gravestone". Yes, my house will be neat and clean when people are coming to visit, but I openly admit that housekeeping is not high on my list of priorities.
I wonder if Little Girl will also follow in our footsteps...
No comments:
Post a Comment