11 September 2009

"How Are You Doing?"

I hear this question at least three times a day. I hear, "How are you feeling?" about as often. I can't figure out how to describe the exact manner in which this is said, but it's always sugary sweet and a little bit patronizing. These questions most often come from women who have long past had their children. I've also noticed that they are usually women that aren't especially close to me, mostly just acquaintances. It really has me wondering how I should feel about this.

One part of me insists that people are caring and truly interested in how I am doing. There are good, well-meaning people out there, after all. This is the part of me that takes over and allows me to give a brief, upbeat description of how my pregnancy has been so far.

A much larger, but so far more subdued, part of me knows these women's real motive. They are looking for the opportunity to inform me that, "it only gets worse from here." Actually, it usually comes out as, "I hate to tell you, but it only gets worse from here." Why do they say this!? They don't hate to tell me it, they relish it!!! They love every opportunity to tell me their horror stories and fill me with dread for the next 10 weeks. Bah!!! Do they really think I don't know that things are bound to get more uncomfortable? Do I really look that naive?

For now, I'll just continue to bite my tongue, smile sweetly, give my brief reply and listen to what these women have to say. However, this is my formal warning...this good behavior can not last. Once their prophecies are fulfilled and things do, in fact, get worse, I will no longer find it necessary to be nice. I will be very happy to be grouchy and mean and blame it all on the hormones!

No comments: